Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This is a simple, 30-minute butternut squash soup infused with coconut milk and garam masala. A soul-warming, flavorful soup that’s perfect for fall and winter. Served with sautéed paneer.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Total Time30 min
- Yield4-6 servings
- Serving Size200 g
- 6 cups butternut squash (diced) (1 medium butternut squash)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1” piece ginger
- 1½ cups shredded kale/spinach
- 1½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 3/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp. asaphoetida
- 2 tbsp. olive/avocado oil/ghee
- 1 lt. coconut milk beverage/water/veg stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup stock/water
- 1 cup diced paneer/firm tofu/cashews/hemp seeds
- Salt to taste
For the dressing
- 1 ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed)
- 1 tbsp. flax seed oil (cold pressed)
- 1 ½ tbsp. apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized and alive)/Lemon juice
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp. crushed garlic
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Salt to taste
Roast the diced carrots and butternut squash on a sheet pan with 2 tsp. of oil. (if avoiding oil, can roast them without oil too). Puree the vegetables with veg stock to get a soupy consistency.
Heat oil in a deep pan, add asaphoetida and cumin seeds and sauté till the cumin seeds change color.
Add chopped ginger, garlic and onions and sauté till translucent.
Add coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric powder and mix.
Add shredded spinach/kale.
Add the pureed squash and carrots, mix well and bring it to a boil.
Add coconut milk and bring to a boil again.
Heat a tsp. oil in a frying pan. Add diced paneer/tofu and sauté lightly. Sprinkle roasted cumin powder and chili powder and mix. Remove from heat and keep aside (can top with toasted cashews/hemp if want to avoid paneer/tofu).
Pour soup in bowls and top with sautéed paneer.
Serve hot with a lemon/lime wedge.